US Visa Document Requirements

When you book your US visa appointment, you must gather all of the required supporting documents to present at your US visa interview. You will be denied your US visa if you fail to present these documents.

US Visa Appointment Letter

You must take your visa appointment letter from the U.S. Consulate where your visa interview is booked.  The letter lists the exact time and date of your interview, so you must make sure that you attend on the correct date.

Supporting Documents

In addition to the visa appointment letter you must also present the following documents:

  • Valid passport with at least 6 months remaining validity.
  • The page of your DS-160 application which contains your signature and the unique barcode. IVT can help with your DS-160 application form.
  • MRV payment slip, which you must arrange before you can book your interview. IVT can help you with your MRV fee payment.
  • Original immigration documents showing your legal status in the country where you live or the United States e.g. your permanent resident card or current visa document. If you were previously in the US you must show your immigration documents from this period.
  • 2 inch x 2 inch passport photo taken to exact requirements stated in the US visa appointment letter
  • Official translations of all documents not written in English
  • Details of any criminal records, US waivers and Canadian pardons if applicable

If you are applying for a student visa, temporary visa or company transfer visa you will need to bring I-20, I-20M or DS-2019, SEVIS fee receipt and proof of funds in the form of six months worth of recent bank statements. Details of the required information are listed on the visa appointment letter.

Additional Documentation Proving Ties to Home

Non-immigrant visas last for a specific period, after which you must leave the USA or apply for a new visa. The temporary nature of a US visa means that you must prove to the immigration officer at your visa interview that you intend to leave the USA when your visa expires.  You must do this by proving ties to your home country or country of residence. The following documentation proves ties to another country:

  • A letter of employment.

Letters of employment should be written on company letterhead and be signed by the employer. The employer’s full name, address and phone number along with the nature of his / her business should be clearly typed. The letter must also give your full name, your job title, the date you commenced employment, and your current wage. If your stay in the US is related to your work, this must be clearly explained in the letter.

  • Permanent resident card for the country you lived in before coming to the USA
  • Gas, electric, water, cable TV and internet bills for the last 3 months showing your name and address
  • Documents proving property ownership in another country or a rental agreement
  • Insurance policies showing you as the policy holder OR the beneficiary
  • Original valid identity documents like a Driver’s License, Health Card, Car Insurance
  • An up-to-date bank statement
  • An up-to-date credit card or debit card statement
  • Return tickets home if you have them

US Visa Fees

When you schedule your US visa appointment, you must pay the US government’s visa issuance fee, known as the MRV fee. This will be charged to the credit card you have provided.  The fees for each non-immigrant visa varies as follows:

B,F,M,J,C,D visas $140 
H, L,O,P,Q,R  visas $150
E visas $390
K visa $350

Consulate Restrictions

You must adhere to strict Consulate rules, which prohibit you from bringing food, drinks, backpacks, luggage, purses, cell phones and ANY electronic equipment. Your confirmation letter details the entire list of prohibited items.

 Questions about US Visa Appointments? Read our US Visa FAQs